Sunday, December 12, 2004

Tell The truth: What you should know.Good & Bad.

When I first started this Blog, I wanted to be fair in my opinions. But, more to the point, I wanted - still do - to let people know a lot of the "hard" truth. Painting only a rosy picture abut the Philippines wouldn't be fair to anyone. If you're reading my blog it's probably because you're already giving some consideration to perhaps moving here. I'm not interested in "selling" you on moving here. I sold myself - that's all that matters to me. Now I've been here for 3 1/2 years. If things were so horrible, would I still be here?
If it were you, maybe you would have left long ago. We're all different. I've traveled, one way or another, most all of my life. I'vw learned to adapt easily to new situations. Also, I like the differences between my American culture and the rest of the world. I like the challenge of merging into other cultures and lifestyles. Best of all, I've always been consumed with curiosity about things of which I knew nothing. And the desire to find out.
I believe that to be a successful traveler or expatriate, one has to have the ability and the philosophy to face the unknown.
If you are of the mind and nature to be rigid and are one of those who wants everything around you to bend to conform to you, then you'd never be happy anywhere in the world other than the "spot" you're used to.
The sayings, "Look ahead," "Be prepared," "Know what you're getting yourself into," are all appropriate to one who considers leaving his or her country, family, friends, culture, society, food, ad infinitum.
Knowing the worst you'll be facing can be very advantageous. If it frightens you, then you know you don't want to spend lots of money and lots of time going somewhere you're just going to turn and run from. There's a certain strength in knowing what dark streets not to walk down.
So... yes, there's lots of things "bad" about the Philippines. Whether it's wrong is something else altogether.
I like living here. In spite of the differences - maybe because of them. I've come here for my own reasons, and I've found that I've gained more than I lost by leaving the USA.
Will I ever return to live in the USA? No, I don't believe so. I can't imagine at this time what could get me to return.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rik: I appreciate that you are attempting to operate a web blogging site. I would like to ask that you write more, daily if you can, be boring if sometimes life is boring. Just write. I have been to the PI when I was in the Navy many years ago. I loved it there. I am married now with three kids and likely will not return, but I like to read about it. So, this is a letter of encouragement to write more!

January 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home